Thursday, March 31, 2011

Does being frustrated about being unfairly labeled with a complex mean I have a complex?

So, readers, if you haven't already figured it out, I am a short man. I guess I had better be careful with this post because if I come across too angry or frustrated with a certain issue, I will, of course be labeled with a Napoleonic complex or short man's syndrome or some other oppressive term from a heightist society to keep my short self in my place.

For instance, the other day (June 10th I believe) on the MSNBC program Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough,  he made mention of Jon Stewart's anger and that he had a Napoleonic complex.  Then, yes, in the same segment mentions Bill O Reilly and that he has anger issues.  Yet, where is the label for Mr. O' Reilly?  Oh wait, Bill is 6'4" and I would imagine Mr. Scarborough is probably 6'0" or so himself and wouldn't't dare attach a label to a taller man getting angry.  See video for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaoRfgdD6ec

Of course, the response from the taller is that all dictators are short or some such; you know, just like Saddam Hussein was or Fidel Castro (both six footers) and let's not forget the evil man himself Bin Laden at 6'4".  Yet, they will always say Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler (who was average height and if memory serves wanted a race of tall, blonde hair, blue eyed people), Napoleon (who stood 5'6" at the turn of the 19th century, average height in France at the time) and  Kim Jong Il (5'3" - about average again for a North Korean).

Isn't it amazing how everyone just assumes that these individuals ruled to compensate for their lack of height?  How do these people know that this was their thinking?  Were they asked?  Or did each one of them say "Hey, I am a short male and in order to compensate for what society views as a handicap, or inadequacy, on my part, I am going to take over my country and try to do the same with the world!"  Yet, in order to do those things, they would have to command loyalty and respect to accomplish that mission would they not?

Maybe people think we short men have something to compensate for because they (meaning society) view us as less than or not as capable. Short men don't view themselves this way, believe me.  We have to try harder because of how we are perceived and if we don't, we get overlooked and left behind. If it is on a basketball court, do the shorter players have to try harder to impress than the taller ones?   On the football field? In the workplace?  The answer to all these is? YES!.  Then, if we do so, we have a complex? How does that work?

 How many of you average sized people have been treated unfairly at any period in your lives?  Ever?  Had a sibling get his or her way and thought it was unfair to you?  Felt like you have been underpaid or under appreciated at work?  Been charged too much for a service?  Well, if you felt you were treated unfairly and responded to it, I guess that means that you also have a complex then or is it just human nature to be a little upset or hurt when you felt things didn't' go your way or you were cheated?  Oh, it's the latter now is it?  Hmmm...interesting.

Okay at what height does a complex begin? It seems that average height or taller people can get upset about unfair treatment, but if I, as a short man, get overcharged or underpaid in the work place and say that it is wrong or unfair, it is a complex! Is there some rule? Such as any man over 5'9" is free to act aggressive and angry but 5'8" and under, it must be a syndrome of some sort.

Oh I'd better stop my sms (short man syndrome) is starting to show because I am expressing my frustrations...lol.  

No comments:

Post a Comment