Thursday, March 31, 2011

My protest in February!


 <><><><>
<>
<><><><>
Yes, that is me and contrary to what others may say, people did take pics of me; I couldn't take a pic of myself now could I?
 
One day: One voice: One cause


   It will always be a day that will be etched in my mind forever; the day I protested height discrimination:  February 12, 2011.

   It was a cold, windy day in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan.  I was to pace back and forth outside the Standard Hotel for two hours either by myself or with anyone else who was willing to come; regardless, it had to be done!   So, I made my way to the Sixth precinct to make the community affairs officer aware of my plan just to be on the safe side.   After which, I made my way to the Standard Hotel to begin ( what I hope will be ) a new path in the fight against heightism.

  Fighting the rough wind,  I wrote down what I felt was necessary on my placard and marched across the street to the hotel.   It didn’t take long for an employee to see me and roll his eyes and say “You got to be kidding me!”   I wasn’t going to be swayed by anyone!  I sat my bag down ( which I later would have to remove and hold onto) and immediately noticed a cabbie seeing what I was doing, honking his horn and giving me a thumbs up!  I wandered over to him and he told me how he read the story in the paper and was in support of what I was doing.  So, within the span of two minutes, before I even started pacing, I had a reaction to what I was doing.  

   The manager noticed me a few moments later and said that there were of course “two sides to the story.”   When I asked him the hotel’s side, he then, as one would expect, couldn’t reveal it and told me that it was too cold for me and that no one else was there to help me.  My response was “I couldn’t care less.”   I then proceeded to pace out in front of the hotel for two hours by myself, in the cold wind, amongst some ridicule, laughing, curiosity and support.

   Was the message sent? (My message was that “Height discrimination must end!”) Perhaps.   I am sure there were some people who were thinking about the issue as they walked by.   Some asked me what happened and others revealed stories of heightism.  A few people even took pictures of me.  

   But, you had better believe that this issue is right there, below the surface.   I really don’t think it will take as much as we think it will to bring it out.  I firmly believe that there are lots of people who are fed up with appearance based bull shit!

   If we can get together, protest and fight this thing it could just take off.  A sign by one person had people talking.  What do you think a protest by many would do for the cause?  You don’t have to be a NOSSA member to do it, just get out there and do it!  Is it scary?  Yes….somewhat.   It isn’t impossible!  I got my first one out of the way, so now the second one will be that much easier.  Sitting there at your keyboards, blogging and posting on a forum may be supportive but it is going to take a more proactive approach to alleviate this prejudice which has plagued us.

   I came out of the protest unscathed and know that I got some people talking; if you feel passionately about this issue (as I do), don’t hesitate to  organize a protest yourself if you must.

  We can do it!  We will defeat this prejudice!  Please don’t be afraid to speak out!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that this event clearly shows that Chris Hamre is the only true heightism activist in the world. Who else has the guts to picket a hotel by themselves in the fight against heightism? All, except Chris, would rather "picket" from the safety of their computers. This man is the real deal! Short people owe him a great thanks for standing up for us!

    ReplyDelete